Friday, July 11, 2008

She's Right

My wife and I have a running argument that I think most parents will recognize. Her proposition: men are just not tough enough to bear children.

My response: the two genders have different roles to play so I don't accept the premise. It isn't necessary for men to be 'tough enough' to deliver babies, because our biology prohibits the need. We just don't have to do it, so the argument is nonsense.

But, I always hasten to add, we could do it if we had to. After all, we smash our fingers under the hoods of cars, suffer the searing agony of ripping athletic tape off our hairy legs, and survive crushing blows from large middle linebackers.

Now, I love to argue just for the fun of the argument - and for the mental exercise. But if I'm honest, she's right.

For the better part of 34 weeks, my wife took handfuls of medicine, vomited almost everything she ate, reorganized our bed 10 times a night in failed efforts to get comfortable enough to sleep, turned the heat up, turned the heat down, rocked at least three times to get enough momentum to get herself off the couch, and - wait for it - gave herself shots in her hips.

Oh, and she continued to work (albeit from a laptop on our couch) and take care of our daughters. In fact, the day she was to be admitted to the hospital she refused - she had to get back to Cheyenne to attend Madeline's preschool graduation party. She simply told the doctor she'd be back to check in later that week.

I'm bed-bound for at least a day when I start to feel a headache coming on.

Now, I suspect most politically savvy husbands who publish blogs about their families post at least one item about how wonderful their wives are. But I'm not kidding. The only differences between my wife pre-triplets and post-triplets are that she no longer gives herself shots, and she now takes care of six children rather than three. Oh, and she is doing it on less sleep.

I've always thought my wife was the perfect role model for our daughters. She is smart, bold, and accomplished. I'm certain that she will be the perfect role model for our sons as well. Strong, committed, and compassionate.

So please know, my dear Tina, that I see the exhaustion in your eyes. I appreciate your patience in soothing our boys through the night - and letting me sleep. I appreciate your boundless - if depleted - energy in caring for our daughters at the same time.

I admit it: I'm not tough enough.

You may never fully know how much I appreciate you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

(trying to type through the watery eyes) . . . this is just one example of why you two have been blessed with these little cuties. You both are uniquely gifted with strength and perseverance. Most of us would have hired a live-in babysitter and eaten ten bags of potato chips by now. Tina truly has been a multi-tasking, marathon runner as long as I've known her.

Anonymous said...

Tina and Steve,
My heart hurts for you that you had to endure the unconceivable stress of Jack's health scare - not to mention the fact that Steve was out of town- and the always stressful additional of the crazy 'Garretson Clan" arriving at your doorstep in the mist of it all.
Thanks for putting up with all the chaos, but most of all thank you for the beautiful blessing of allowing us to be a part of your amazing family for the past four days. The fact that you actually trusted us to take care of your six little angels is priceless. Thanks for the memories.
Love always,
"Uncle Alex" and "Aunt Cammy"